Summers have started here in India. Thus, you may plan for a weekend beach party soon or going for summer season shopping is a must.
Whatever you do, just do not forget to apply sunscreen on your face and body. It doesn’t matter whether the weather is hot or cold outside. What matters is to protect your body from the harmful UV rays.
Using sunscreen has become one of the most essential parts of a skincare routine. You must take it with you wherever you go.
The damaging UV rays can cause you sun tanning, sun allergies as well as pimples. It can also lead to skin ageing and skin cancer. Thus, dermatologists often recommend using sunscreen to solve all these issues.
However, there are several brands that came up with their sunscreen with different texture and SPF content. It makes it difficult to choose the best sunscreen in India that suits your skin type.
I have made a list of top 10 best sunscreens in India to choose from. If you are still confused, then you can go through the buying guide of sunscreen. It will help you to choose according to your skin type and texture.
Table of Contents
- These are the top 10 Best Sunscreens in India 2019:
- 1. Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch Sunblock, SPF 50+, 88ml
- 2. Lotus Herbals Safe Sun 3-In-1 Matte Look Daily Sunblock, SPF 40, 100g
- 3. Lakme Sun Expert SPF 50 PA+++ Ultra Matte Lotion, 50 ml
- 4. NIVEA Sunscreen Lotion, Sun Protect, and Moisture (SPF 50), 125ml
- 5. Re’equil Oxybenzone and Zero-Omc Sunscreen for Oily, Sensitive and Acne Prone Skin, SPF 50 PA+++ – 50 g
- 6. WOW Anti Pollution SPF40 Water Resistant No Parabens; Mineral Oil Sunscreen Lotion, 100mL
- 7. Aroma Magic Sunscreen Sun Block Lotion, SPF 30, 100ml
- 8. Ustraa Sports Sunscreen For Men (Zinc) SPF 50++, 100g
- 9. Glenmark La Shield Sunscreen Gel SPF 40, PA+++, Broad-Spectrum UVA/UVB Oil Free and Dermatologist Tested, 60gms
- 10. IPCA Acne-UV Oil-Free Gel, SPF 30 PA++ +, Broad-Spectrum UVA/UVB, Water Resistant Sunscreen 60g
- Tips for Choosing the Best Sunscreen in India
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Final Talk
These are the top 10 Best Sunscreens in India 2019:
1. It is lightweight.
2. It absorbs faster.
3. The texture is creamy.
4. It is not sticky in nature.
5. It has SPF 50+ and PA+++.
1. The packaging comes in a tube form with a screw cap. It has a blue and white combination which gives it a nice look.
2. It is milky white in colour and has a creamy consistency which is thick. This will not leave a white cast or chalkiness on your skin if blended properly.
3. The Neutrogena sunscreen is suitable for all skin types. But recommend especially for dry, normal, and combination skin types.
4. It is suitable for harsh summers in India as it has SPF of 50+. Thus, it prevents your skin from sunburn as well as a suntan.
5. The sunscreen has a dry touch technology. It gives a non-shiny finish. It is also ultra-light in weight. You will not feel tacky after applying.
6. It has a fresh smell which is light and gentle enough for sensitive skin people as well. This is oil-free in nature and has no PABA.
7. It is dermatologically tested and is non-comedogenic. Thus, it ensures no pore blocking.
8. This sunscreen provides high balanced broad-spectrum protection against UVB as well as UVA rays.
1. It doesn’t give a matte finish.
2. It may leave a white cast if not blended properly.
1. It is not greasy in texture.
2. This is light in weight.
3. It doesn’t irritate the skin.
4. Makes your skin radiant as well as gives a matte finish.
5. It offers UVA and UVB protection.
1. The packaging is sturdy and has an opaque orange plastic tube along with a flip top lid.
2. The sunscreen is beige in colour having a pleasant fragrance. Due to the tinted feature, it gives a little coverage to your skin.
3. It has mallow extract to soothe your skin. This acts as an anti-inflammatory agent. It is suitable for all skin types.
4. It feels light on the skin after applying. The sunblock is not greasy at all. It has birch extract to reduce oiliness from the skin. This rejuvenates and refines the skin pores.
5. The sunscreen is affordable and is travel-friendly as well. A little bit amount is sufficient enough to protect your skin from harmful rays.
5. It has UVA as well as UVB protection to prevent your skin from tanning or burning.
1. Reapplication may lead to tackiness.
1. It is light in weight.
2. Absorbs easily into your skin.
3. It is paraben free.
4. Has a travel-friendly packaging.
5. It is not greasy in texture.
1. Lakme is a well-known brand in India since 1952. It is known for manufacturing premium quality skincare products.
2. The Lakme sunscreen comes in a yellow tube packaging with a flip cap. It gives it a bright look which is nice to travel with.
3. It has a translucent or transparent gel-like formula. This spreads easily onto the skin leaving a non-greasy, fresh feeling to your skin.
4. It has lemongrass as well as cucumber extracts to give a soothing feel to your skin. This makes it suitable skin types. However, it is suggested to do a patch test before using on sensitive skin.
5. The sunblock easily gets absorbed into your skin as it is light in weight. It controls sweat as well as oil. This makes sure your pores are not clogged.
6. It is a great makeup base and works just like a primer. This is paraben-free and has a quantity of 100 ml.
7. This has SPF of 50 and PA+++ which prevents your skin from sunburns and skin tanning. It protects your skin from UVA as well as UVB rays.
1. It leaves a whitish cast initially. However, it settles down after 5-10 minutes of application.
1. It has a high SPF of 50+.
2. It is light in weight.
3. Absorbs into the skin easily.
1. Nivea is one of the leading brands in India and abroad. It is known for manufacturing premium quality skincare products.
2. The Nivea sunscreen lotion has PA+++ as well as advanced collagen to protect your skin’s collagen. It prevents your skin from showing signs of ageing such as wrinkles, spot marks, etc.
3. It is lightweight which is not greasy in texture. This helps in absorbing the sunscreen into your skin easily. You can use it on your body as well just like a body lotion.
4. It has a water-resistant formula perfect for wearing while swimming. This prevents from the tanning cause while swimming.
5. It doesn’t leave any white cast on your face after application. You don’t need to apply it 15 minutes before like all other sunscreens. Just apply it and go out!
6. The best part is that it prevents your skin from flaking. It makes your skin smooth and acts as a solid base for your makeup.
1. It contains parabens and alcohol.
2. It feels greasy during the summers.
5. Re’equil Oxybenzone and Zero-Omc Sunscreen for Oily, Sensitive and Acne Prone Skin, SPF 50 PA+++ – 50 g
1. It has an ultra-light formula.
2. This is suitable for sensitive/acne-prone skin.
3. It gives a matte finish.
4. It has a high SPF of 50+.
1. The quality of the packaging is top notch. It comes in a white tube packaging.
2. It is one of the best sunscreens for oily, sensitive, and acne prone skin types. This has a cream formula which feels light on the skin.
3. The sunblock is non-greasy and has a matte effect on your skin. It works straight for 6 long hours providing a fresh look.
4. It is free from Oxybenzone as well as OMC which makes it light on the skin. This is one of the best non-comedogenic sunscreen lotions.
5. It is budget-friendly and has oil-controlling formula.
1. It leaves a white cast on your skin after application.
1. It has a high SPF of 40+.
2. This is non-greasy and quick absorbing.
3. It is 100% vegan and cruelty-free.
1. The packaging of the WOW Anti Pollution Sunscreen Lotion is sturdy. It comes in a plastic bottle which has a pump dispenser.
2. The WOW sunscreen has an amazing texture and is light in weight. It has a sweet fruity smell which is pleasant. And it feels light on your skin.
3. This sunscreen has liquorice extract to protect from UV damage. It improves your skin texture and complexion. The sunscreen helps to fade away the suntan.
4. It is sweat proof as well as water-resistant. Thus, you can use it without any tension. Stop bothering about sweating.
5. This sunscreen contains liquorice extract, Aeromonas ferment extract as well as vitamin B3. It helps to boost skin’s immunity and thus, it heals and rejuvenates the skin.
6. It stops even 2.5 PM sizes particles to penetrate into your skin. This makes your skin healthy, improving skin complexation.
1. It is a bit expensive.
1. It is lightweight and nutrient-rich.
2. It is paraben-free and has no harsh chemicals.
3. This prevents tanning and premature ageing.
1. The packaging is bright yellow in colour and comes in a tube packaging. It has a sleek and quirky look making it travel-friendly.
2. The texture is creamy and has a pale pink colour. It smells and looks just like calamine lotion.
3. It is rich in Vitamin B5, E, and C to prevent all the visible signs of ageing. You can use this without any worries.
4. The product contains carrot seed, jojoba oils, and wheat germ to provide sun safety naturally. It has green tea extracts to promote elasticity. This also gives smart sun protection.
5. It is good for sensitive skin as well. This won’t cause breakouts. There is no excess oil production.
6. This absorbs super fast into your skin. It has a mattifying formula which gives your skin a fresh look.
1. It leaves a white cast on your face after applying.
2. This is not suitable for dry skin.
3. It is not sweatproof or water-resistant.
1. It is Sulphate and paraben-free.
2. It is sweat-proof and water-resistant.
3. This is a sports sunscreen.
1. If you are looking for a sports sunscreen, then this is an ideal option to choose. It has an SPF of 50+ and PA+++. This is great for protecting your skin from sun damages.
2. It has mint and cucumber extract to provide a soothing sensation to your skin. The sunscreen makes you feel refreshed every time you apply it.
3. You can wipe it off easily when you are done with the playing activities.
4. The best part is that it is paraben-free. Thus, it is good for your skin.
5. It has a non-greasy, non-sticky texture which makes it usable. This controls excess oil as well.
1. It is expensive.
9. Glenmark La Shield Sunscreen Gel SPF 40, PA+++, Broad-Spectrum UVA/UVB Oil Free and Dermatologist Tested, 60gms
1. It is perfect for the tropical climate.
2. It is safe for people with sensitive skin.
3. This has UVA as well as UVB protection along with PA+++.
4. The sunblock is water-resistant as well as Oil-free.
1. The Glenmark La Shield Sunscreen Gel is the most recommended sunscreen by the dermatologists in India.
2. It is safe for all skin types. A person with sensitive skin can also use this as it is dermatologically tested. It has medicinal properties to benefit your skin.
3. This sunscreen is sweat proof as well as water-resistant. So, if you are a swimmer, then you can use it without any worry. Also, it can prevent sweating by controlling excess oil.
4. It doesn’t have alcohol in it which is amazing to use on your skin. This contains no artificial colours or dye and neither preservatives. Thus, it is good for your skin making it healthy.
5. It has a non-greasy formula. This absorbs into the skin easily. It has a gel-based texture which gives a soothing feeling to your skin.
1. It is a little bit expensive at the quantity given.
1. It is non-oily.
2. This is non-comedogenic and is non-irritant.
3. It is water resistant and has no preservative.
1. The product is best for acne-prone as well as sensitive skin people. It is dermatologically tested and proven a great benefit for all skin types.
2. It has a gel-like formula which will not make your skin oily and greasy at all. This has non-sticky texture providing no stickiness to your skin.
3. The sunblock controls excess oil production leaving your skin fresh. It can be worn under your makeup as a base.
4. It leaves no white cast after the application of the sunscreen. This provides relief to people struggling with cystic acne.
5. It is sweat proof as well as water-resistant thus can be worn without any worries.
1. It can cause a little bit of skin tanning.
Tips for Choosing the Best Sunscreen in India
1. Consider Your Skin Type
It is very much important to consider the skin type before purchasing a sunscreen lotion. I mean you must check out whether your skin type is oily, dry, normal, or sensitive.
a) If you have dry skin, you must find out sunscreen that is cream-based. Sunscreens enriched with oil will provide moisture to your skin.
b) In case, you have oily skin, it is must for you to use a gel-based or water-based sunscreen lotion.
c) For people having sensitive skin, you must choose a sunscreen with zinc oxide or titanium dioxide. Sunscreens with PABA or Para-Aminobenzoic Acid are not good for sensitive skin.
2. SPF or Sun Protection Factor
Another essential factor to keep in mind before choosing a sunscreen with broad-spectrum. A sunscreen must protect your skin from harmful UVA as well as UVB.
UVA can cause you skin ageing whereas UVB leads to sunburn as well as tanning. To protect your skin, dermatologists suggest using a sunscreen with a minimum SPF 15 to SPF 30.
You must apply a proper quantity of sunscreen and then reapply it after every two hours.
a) SPF 15 blocks 93% of UVB rays
b) SPF 30 blocks around 97% UVB rays
c) SPF 50 blocks 98% UVB rays
Just like skin, lips need extra care and protection. Moreover, lips are much more sensitive than your skin. You must buy an SPF infused lip balm for extra lip protection.
3. Sweat and Water Resistance
If you are looking for a sunscreen to use while swimming, then you must buy a sunscreen that is water-resistant. In fact, your chosen sunscreen must be sweatproof as well.
These types of sunscreen will provide you with better protection while in water or sweating than the ordinary ones.
a) Water-resistant sunscreen will provide you 40 to 50 minutes of protection.
b) Sweatproof sunscreen protects your skin in water for about 80 minutes. However, nothing is 100% waterproof.
4. Ingredients List
While I am talking about UVA protection, you must consider choosing a sunscreen with these following ingredients such as oxybenzone, zinc oxide, ecamsule, avobenzone, titanium dioxide, or sulisobenzone.
There are some ingredients present in sunscreen can be harmful to your skin. Zinc oxide can make you look pale.
One of the key factor to consider while choosing a sunscreen is to look for a good brand. It is always important to buy skincare products from good brands.
A high-quality product is always better than any cheap product without a doubt. But, it doesn’t mean your sunscreen needs to be pricey. You can opt for a budget-friendly sunscreen from a reputed brand as well.
6. Expiration Dates
Remember to check the expiry date of any skincare product. Usually, a sunscreen lasts for three years. You can find the expiration date in the packaging itself.
Using an expired sunscreen can lead to severe harm. The ingredients present in it degrades with time. Thus, it is very much crucial to check the product expiry date.
7. Kid-Friendly Sunscreen
Sunscreen is equally important for kids just like adults. However, you need to be very much careful while choosing a sunscreen lotion for your kid.
Children tend to have sensitive skin and ingredients present in sunscreen can cause severe damage to your kid’s skin. Your kid may be allergic to any of the components present.
You need to do a little bit of research for buying a sunscreen manufactured especially for kids. Sunscreens having PABA and benzophenones are harmful to your kids. You can even find SPF clothes for your little ones.
8. Additional Tips
To get the best result using the best sunscreen in India, you need to follow these important tips.
a) Always apply sunscreen 30 minutes before going out.
b) Use a good amount of sunscreen than you think you should.
c) You must wear sunglasses and a cap. If possible you should wear a scarf or a stole. It will protect your skin from the UV rays.
d) You should reapply the sunscreen every two hours.
e) Cotton fabrics are a must during summers while you are out.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the major difference between Chemical and Physical Sunscreen?
a) If you use a physical sunscreen, it will sit on the top of your skin. It reflects sun rays. The primary active ingredients present in any physical blocks are zinc oxide as well as titanium dioxide.
b) On the other hand, chemical sunscreens directly penetrate into the skin and absorb the harmful sun rays. It converts the rays into heat to release them from the body.
However, the primary ingredients in chemical sunscreens are antioxidants and avobenzone.
2. Is Chemical Sunscreen better than Physical?
Chemical sunscreens penetrate deep into the dermis and epidermis. It soaks up UVA as well as UVB rays just like a sponge.
However, to protect against all the harmful rays, a solo chemical is not enough.
3. What is the primary difference between UVA and UVB Rays?
There are two types of harmful rays that sunlight consists namely UVA and UVB. Overexposure to any one of them can cause skin cancer.
a) UVA rays are the ageing rays that cause permanent skin ageing. It can cause you wrinkles as well as age spots. It can enter through your window glass.
b) UVB rays are the burning rays causes sunburn. However, it can’t pass through window glass.
4. Is a High number SPF better than a Low number one?
The higher the number of SPF is, the better it will block the sun’s UVB rays. However, no sunscreen can block 100% of the sun’s UV rays.
You need to remember that whatever the amount of SPF is, it will last for the same amount of time.
5. Is SPF infused makeup enough?
Well! It works but to a certain extent. However, according to me, it is not enough. You must consider these products as makeup with additional SPF and not an alternate option for a sunscreen.
You must include sunscreen in your daily routine. It will make sure your skin remains healthy and problem-free.
However, you can use SPF contains products by layering it several times such as primer, foundation, compact powder, etc. But, people who need more of SPF protection should use original sunscreen.
Well! During the summers in India, sun protection is very much essential. It doesn’t mean you need to spend a hefty amount on a sunscreen. You can opt for a good quality affordable one as well.
You must include sunscreen in your day to day life to keep your skin protected from the sun’s harmful rays. However, there are so many products available in the market, it can confuse you.
Thus, I suggest you go through the buying and product lists above to get the best sunscreen in India according to your needs. Using a proper amount of premium quality sunscreen, you will be amazed to see the results of glowing healthy skin.