Helmets are an essential part of our daily use just as much as clothes when we go out. If you are planning a bike ride and not willing to use a helmet, then you are putting your life in massive danger.
Helmets are not only for protecting your head, but it also supports your neck as well so that you do not receive any critical injuries if you meet with any accidents.
But, if you are bored of picking up any regular helmet for your bike ride, choosing a quality product will be a great pick. So, below is the list of the top 10 best helmets in India.
Table of Contents
- These are the Top 10 Best Helmets in India 2020:
- 1. Royal Enfield Matt Black Open Face Helmet
- 2. Vega Verve Helmet
- 3. Vega Cruiser CR-W/P-W-M Open Face Helmet
- 4. VEGA Off Road D/V Motocross Helmet
- 5. Vega Atom Dull Black Helmet
- 6. Steelbird AIR SBA-1 Classic Motorbike Helmet
- 7. Vega Cliff CLF-LK-M/L Full Face Helmet
- 8. Vega Crux Flip-up Helmet
- 9. Vega Edge Full Face Helmet
- 10. Vega Cliff Full Face Helmet
- Helmet Buying Guide
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Final Talk
These are the Top 10 Best Helmets in India 2020:
1. It weighs 1.52 kgs.
2. This comes in one large size of 58 cm and the other XL size pf 60 cm.
3. It is suitable for both men and women.
1. The Royal Enfield Matt Black Open Face Helmet comes from the brand Royal Enfield, and it is one of the best manufacturing brands in the Indian market. They are known to make excellent quality bike helmets apart from bikes. You can rely on this product without much thought.
2. The product comes along with an R badging present on the front lobe to give you a classy and glamorous look while riding a motorcycle. What I like about the product from this brand is the open face feature that allows you to breathe and talk in case of any emergencies.
3. The helmet comes with an expanded polystyrene inner lining to give you added protection and security. Moreover, the product has a combination of mesh and knit, visor coated with polycarbonate as well as UV to provide the product with a scratch-resistant effect. It improvised the performance effectively.
4. The protect comes along with ISI certifications to enhance security and protection. It further comes along with adjustable nylon chin straps that have micrometric locks.
1. Might feel a little heavy.
1. It weighs 1.22 kgs.
2. This comes in four different sizes.
3. It is suitable for both men and women.
1. Vega is a trendy brand in India for premium quality helmets. Hence, if you are looking for a good quality helmet for yourself or your wife, mother, daughter, or sister, you can surely opt for the Vega Verve Helmet.
2. The product comes along with ISI approved certification to provide you with ample security and protection. What I like more about this product is that the product comes along with a different shell for girls. This will provide added safety to women and thus is an excellent option for women.
3. With this product, you will have four different size options such as small, medium, large, and extra-large to choose from. Hence, it becomes easier for you to select one as per your head size. The product further has a fantastic design along with a ponytail space. You will also find a silent chin strap lock to give you extra protection along with a metallic quick release micrometric buckle.
4. The product has a patent lock mechanism along with inbuilt foam material that takes time to adjust as per your head size. However, it will automatically adjust as per your head size with the time.
1. It is a little expensive.
1. It weighs 898 grams.
2. This comes in four different sizes.
3. It can be used for both men and women.
1. The Vega Cruiser CR-W/P-DK-M Open Face Helmet comes again from the brand Vega. It is a fantastic helmet for you to opt for, especially for ladies. The product is ISI certified and approved. As a result, the helmet is completely secured and protected. It has a very lightweight of only 898 grams that makes it easy for you to carry.
2. The product is made up of good quality ABS plastic that has a fantastic finish. This helmet has a cool texture with an attractive look. What more I like about this helmet is the buckle of the strap that is made up of metal. Moreover, the product comes with several EPS liner layers along with the Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene Shell outer part.
3. What I like more about this helmet is the retractable visor that is built up of optical polycarbonate to enhance the quality. There is an option to adjust it using the pin locks as per your needs. Moreover, the product gives you a wide view and thus, avoid causing accidents.
1. Air vents are small.
2. There is no hole for lock.
1. It weighs 1.2 kgs.
2. This is available in four different sizes.
3. There are seven air vents.
1. The VEGA Off Road D/V Motocross Helmet is yet again a product from the brand Vega. It is an ISI approved helmet and comes with high security and protection. You can opt for the size of your choice and fit.
2. The product comes with a UV clear finish along with airflow from the front to the end. It flushes out the humidity as well as the heat out. However, the product might feel tighter at first, but with regular use, it will feel comfortable.
3. With this product, you will have a removable wind protector. This has high capacity vents two at the side, one at the mouth, and four as the back exhaust vents.
1. Not good for high speed.
1. It weighs 998 grams.
2. This has a medium size.
3. It is suitable for both men and women.
1. The Vega Atom Dull Black Helmet is from the brand Vega, known for manufacturing fantastic quality helmets. This product is made up of good quality ABS material to provide it with high impact resistance, stability, and durability.
2. The product is ISI certified and thus gives you much more security and protection. It has a non-removable interior to provide you with the exact comfort. The inside material is made up of good fabrics to provide you with proper support while you wear it. The product is further light in weight and has a medium size.
1. The noise of air cutting comes while putting the visor on.
1. It has three different sizes
2. This weighs 1.54 kgs.
1. Steelbird is a great brand and is known for manufacturing premium-quality motorbike accessories such as a helmet. The Steelbird AIR SBA-1 Classic Motorbike Helmet is one such product you can opt for. This product is designed for sportive competitors who need to have full-face protection.
2. The product comes along with visor intact on the front side that gives you protection from the sun rays. It comes in different colour options to choose from. You can always get a chance to choose the visor as well, such as a smoke visor, plain visor, and night vision visor. The product is a fantastic option to buying as with the visor it protects your face from air pollutants and UV rays.
3. What I like about the product is that it comes with a scratchproof feature. Moreover, the snug-fitting is comfortable with the patterned design. The helmet is secured from both the outer as well as inner pars. There is a foam intact inside that acts as a cushion to avoid your head from touching the strong shell.
4. The helmet is extremely light in weight and comes in several sizes to fit different head shapes and sizes comfortably.
1. The finishing could have been better.
2. This is a little heavy.
1. It weighs 1.18 kgs.
2. This comes in 2 sizes.
3. It is suitable for men.
1. The Vega Cliff CLF-LK-M/L Full Face Helmet is a very decent full-face helmet that comes from the brand Vega. It is ISI approved as a result won’t compromise on the safety standard as well as quality. The outer shell is made up of acrylonitrile butadiene styrene. It is hard to break and thus, has enhanced durability.
2. You can wear the helmet safely up to a speed limit of 70km/hr. The product is light in weight and has a compact design that allows you to carry your helmet comfortably and wear it on your head effortlessly. The design is quite simple yet elegant and will suit every people.
3. The product has a snug fit to ensure style as well as it protects the riders from causing any accidents. This model has two different sizes of medium and large, and as a result, you can wear as per your comfort level. With the passing days, it will match your head shape, and you won’t feel tight. You will find a soft inner cushion of foam material to give you further protection.
4. The product is ISI certified, and hence, it provides you with full protection. It comes at an affordable price. I feel it is suitable for both men as well as little boys. However, the sizes aren’t suitable enough for ladies.
1. It has small chinstrap support.
2. This is not stainproof.
1. It weighs 1.5 kgs.
2. This is suitable for both men and women.
3. It comes in four different sizes.
1. The Vega Crux Flip-up Helmet is once again from the brand Vega which is known for manufacturing good quality helmets for both men and women. It manufactures highly durable and extremely safe to wear helmets. This particular helmet has four different sizes.
2. The product comes in a very stylish design to attract the buyer’s eyes. This is made up of good quality ABS plastic material in the aerodynamic shape. You will get proper comfort while you wear it due to the leather touch finishing. This has adequate space and an easy fit to let you breathe properly.
3. You can use this helmet regularly. It is designed for both men as well as women. The visor is made up of optical polycarbonate that is UV resistant. I like the padding inside the helmet that gives you relief while you ride wearing it. This is light in weight but may feel a little tight on your head at first.
4. The product is light in weight and can be easily wearable. There is a flip-up button that is red. It allows you to empty the space in your chin area. The product perfectly fits the head and will enable you to breathe.
1. It is unfoldable.
2. This is not resistant to strain.
1. The Vega Edge Full Face Helmet is once again a product from the brand Vega. It is a great full-face helmet to opt for with a weight of only 1.42 kgs. This comfortably sits onto your head and gives you an excellent fit all over. The product has a mouth as well as top ventilation for easy breathing.
2. The product comes along with a good quality ABS plastic built material. It enhances the durability of the product and gives you stability. What I like more about this product is the quick release chin strap. It allows you to free the chin space.
1. Easily gets scratched.
1. It weighs 889 grams.
2. This has four different sizes.
3. It is suitable for both men and women.
1. The Vega Cliff Full Face Helmet is the last product from the list, and it is again from the brand Vega. By now you know that Vega manufactures high-quality helmets and this one is a fantastic product to opt for. This product is further ISI approved and thus, enhances the security.
2. The product comes along with four different sizes such as small, medium, large as well as extra-large. Moreover, the product is made up of good quality ABS plastic to enhance the durability and create an impact resistance. This is further light in weight and thus, easy for you to carry all the time.
3. The product has easy fitting visors to give you a full wide view. It will allow you to prevent road accidents. However, the foam takes a little time to adjust, but with the time you will feel comfortable. The product is overall has a stylish and fabulous matte-finish look to suit both men and women.
1. Sizes can be an issue.
Helmet Buying Guide
The most crucial factor to consider while buying a helmet is the side. You should always opt for a helmet that is neither too tight nor too loose. A helmet should fit snugly on your head, and it should be just above your eyebrows.
You should measure your head size using a measuring tape. Put it around your head about half inches right above your eyebrows. Now compare the measurement with the motorcycle helmet size although most of the manufacturers provide you with a size chart to help you out.
It is very much essential to know your head size to determine the helmet size. Manufacturers usually provide you with three head shapes such as:
a. Round Oval
The round shape helmet suits the one who has head narrower from front to back and longer from side to side.
b. Long Oval
It is best suitable for the ones that have an oval or oblong head. It is narrow from ear to ear and longish from the front to back.
c. Intermediate Oval
It is suited for the ones with a round head which is wider from the side and shorter from front to back.
2. ISI-Certified Helmets
Indian Standards Institute or ISI is a certification mark for all the manufacturing products such as kitchen and home appliances in India. The Indian government has made this compulsory to determine fake products and maintain safety standards to protect the drivers.
Now there are mainly three different types of certificates such as:
DOT or Department Of Transportation is USA certified helmets. A helmet passes through several quoted requirements such as crack-resistant, impact penetration, etc., to get DOT certified.
ECE or the Economic Commission for Europe is a European certified helmet. It is sanctioned by over 50 or more countries around the world. They are made after rigorous testing and are used in case of racing.
Snell is used in case of racing, and it is by far the best helmet you can get your hands on internationally.
3. Types Of Helmet
a. Open Face Helmet
An open face helmet is the one that offers better protection compared to the half-shell ones. They only leave the face area unprotected but gives you excellent visibility. It allows you access to your face as well.
b. Full Face Helmet
If you are a sports biker, then you must require a full-face helmet to get the all-round protection. A full-face helmet will give you full head and face protection including the jawline to the chin bar. It is, without any doubt, the safest variants of helmet possible in the market.
c. Half Shell Helmet
The helmet that comes with a simple design and covers only the upper part and back of your head is the half shell helmet. They are comparatively light in weight and are comfortable to wear, offering you a little less protection. These are great for casual riders looking for a stylish helmet.
4. Helmet Weight
Usually, any standard helmet weighs 1400 grams to 1800 grams. Wearing a perfectly fitted helmet will ensure you don’t face any issues while putting it on. This will distribute the weight evenly around the shoulders and head. A helmet with not so proper fit can cause strain your neck.
When it comes to the priority of having a good quality helmet, then price shouldn’t be an issue. A helmet is there to protect you from any road accident and increases the usage capabilities.
Usually, people don’t change their helmets for years, and we want to tell you that it is not the correct thing to do. For that matter, you should opt for a helmet that is affordable and does the job for you.
There is a transparent front guard present on a helmet known as the visor. It plays a significant role in the complete usability of the product. While you ride on a vast stretch or any road, usually the eyes get exposed to insects, sun-rays, dirt, winds, etc.
It is a great problem than it seems to be. This can cause you distractions and thus can be fatal on roads. It is essential to keep your eyes on the road while you ride.
Having a helmet with perfect visors made up of polycarbonate, and the one that is made up of scratch-resistant material will offer you great optics. You will find several types of visors, such as full or semi-tinted, sunshades, etc.
7. Helmet Construction and Padding
Look out for a helmet with a durable outer covering, a retention system, and an impact-absorbing inner lining. The outer shell made up of fibre re-inforced can prevent any hard impact by reducing the force.
Usually, the inner liners are made up of styrofoam or similar kind of material to absorb any shock. It reduces the hard strike power.
Padding is yet another essential thing to consider while you look for a helmet. Check whether the helmet has spongy and soft padding to surround the head and face. It will ensure you the comfort level you need. On the other hand, it will make sure the helmet fits snugly on your head without causing any issue.
8. Noise Cancellation
At times, the roads may become noisy. Moreover, if you have a speed of more than 50 to 60km/hr, in that case, wind blasts happen inevitably, which creates a lot of noise.
Going for a decent helmet will help you in cutting through the wind blasts and generally has a noise cancellation feature.
9. Retention System
A chin strap or a retention system makes sure that your helmet stays secure on your head all the time. You can adjust it as per your face.
In recent times, you will find several types of retention systems such as Micrometric buckle, Quick Release buckle, and D-Ring buckle. You can choose one as per your preference.
Due to the tight cushioning present all over the helmet, it can be a little stuffy to wear. While riding in India during summers, it is quite obvious that you will sweat a lot. You can get hands-on some of the luxurious helmets that have proper vents that act as an air circulation mechanism.
It is excellent to make sure there is a steady airflow inside the helmet while you ride. This reduces the suffocation and helps you in case of heat dissipation.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Why do some people avoid wearing helmets?
There is a certain group of people who tends to avoid wearing helmets. They do these for some very petty reasons such as comfort issues, hairstyle spoiling, covering shorter distances, feels heavy wearing helmet, etc.
However, I encourage you all to wear a helmet. It is for your security and protection. Wearing a helmet will assure you stay safe in case of sudden road accidents.
2. What type of helmet should I buy?
At first, you need to check out products that are ISI certified. Secondly, buy a helmet that fits your head size. You can go through the buying guide to understand what kind of helmet you should buy.
3. Will I get neck pain while wearing a helmet?
Well! Wearing a helmet may cause neck pain. However, if you opt for a helmet from a good brand with foam factor inside, then the chances are less. All the products mentioned here are of decent quality and will not cause neck pain. You should keep in mind the size factor before buying one. Often neck pain may occur due to the wrong size.
4. Is it necessary for a co-rider to wear a helmet?
Yes obviously! It is very much crucial for a co-rider to wear a helmet. This is because anything can happen while riding a bike, even to the co-rider. Thus, to maintain safety, you must ask your co-rider to wear the helmet.
If you are planning to buy a helmet for your safety or looking to upgrade your old helmet, then I am sure this article is going to help you a lot. I have made sure to list down all the top helmets available in the market.
Furthermore, if you are confused and don’t know how you can buy a helmet and what factors you should look at, then you can go through the buying guide as well. Going through the whole article will surely help you in choosing the best helmet in India.